Here are some high integrity trail food products that will help to make your life easier when things get busy or when you’re heading for an outdoor adventure. Because your exercise performance shouldn’t suffer because of your schedule or location. TIP: Bookmark this page because I update it constantly!
- Jackson’s Honest Sweet Potato Chips – A great pre or post- workout carb made with high-quality oil. Eat these as a snack with a little protein approximately 45 minutes before exercise for optimum performance. Or have a small amount with a larger source of protein and fat as a post-workout meal.
- Jica Chips – The sea salt ones are only three ingredients and made with olive oil. A fun take on that chip crunch. Follow the same exercise guidelines above.
- Lightly Salted Dang Coconut Chips – a crunchy alternative to other types of chips. Try adding it on top of salads, chicken, or into trail mix
- NUCO coconut wraps – These make on-the-go meals so much easier and are also a great substitute for flour tortillas. Fill them with dinner leftovers, chicken and vegetables, or nut butter and green apples for a sweet alternative.
- Purely Elizabeth Granola – No funky sweeteners and high-quality ingredients. Great for on the go or a quick breakfast at home.
- Gaea Olives – On-the-go snack packs of olives for that extra fat needed to sustain you on your adventures.
- Coconut Larabars – I’m not a huge fan of bars but sometimes they’re just so convenient. This is another quick-acting carb that should only be eaten as a pre or post-workout snack with added protein to not spike and crash your blood sugar!
- Primal Kitchen Dark Chocolate Almond bar – Likewise here, not a huge fan of bars but these are great for emergency situations. The collagen is an animal source of protein (a complete and high quality source) and since it is low sugar (naturally since it’s barely sweet), that helps to keep your blood sugar balanced better. So if you are not about to exercise or didn’t just finish and need an emergency bar, choose this one over the larabar.
- Epic Bar Turkey, Almond, and Cranberry – Another bar option that is balanced and can be eaten as a standalone item. Their other products are good as well, check out their Salmon option to switch it up!
- RX Bar – These are simple ingredients and taste pretty good. Another good emergency option if you’re wanting something to keep in your bag. Great for a pre or post exercise boost!
- Hunt & Harvest Mix – Epic bar is a reliable company for good snacks but this one is really well balanced for maximum benefit out on the trail.
- Pork Clouds – Just delicious! A great way to add protein and fat to your high carb bar, granola, dried fruit, or other on-the-go snacks.
- Coconut Butter Packets– Fruit is an easy whole food to take on the go with you but it can be carb overload for your system and leave you crashing soon after. Add a nut butter packet to the mix to keep you cruisin’.
- Kettle and Fire Bone Broth – good broth is SO important to your health and also to the flavor of your meals. It is mineral rich and gut healing. Store bought broth on the other hand, is literally salt, artificial flavorings, and food color. But homemade broth can be time-consuming and takes planning. Get all the benefits without the fuss from Kettle and Fire. Gelatin-rich broth is great for post-workout muscle recovery so heat it on a camping stove, add a little salt, and sip as a hot recovery beverage.
- Watusee Crunchy Chickpeas – a great way to get ready-to-eat complex carbs to snack on! Just they use olive oil, it’s hard to find crunchy chickpeas that don’t have bad fats or sugar in them.
- Brami Snacking Beans – newest favorite snack, really unique concept and delicious! A way to feel like you’re eating real food but it’s out of a package. Downside is that you have to refrigerate after opening so if you’re bringing these outside for a full day, consider sharing with your friends because there’s a lot in each package.
- Sun Dried Tomato Packets – great to mix with the olives, snacking beans, and tuna packets to create a real meal outside!
- Wild Caught Tuna Packets – This lightweight option is a great on-the-go protein. A good change up from the jerky!
- Lunch Bots – Sometimes you’re in a situation where refrigeration or heating food up isn’t an option. These are great for bringing leftovers with you on the go. They keep your cold food cold and your hot food hot.
Easy Access – either in a cooler or eaten pretty quickly
- Wholly Guacamole – Pair with the sweet potato or jicama chips for an easy snack. Mix in black beans for some extra protein!
- Trader Joe’s Frozen Brown Rice – Trader Joe’s has great options for quick meals. If in an outdoor environment, just let the rice defrost! No microwave or oven needed. They also have organic frozen quinoa, frozen grilled vegetables, chicken, fish, etc. A word of caution: please, please, please read the ingredients. If you buy plain items, ingredients should only be the food item + salt. Trader Joe’s has a bunch of hidden bad ingredients in their sauces so beware!
- Tessemaes – Speaking of sauces…this company has great options for dressings, sauces, and marinades but be sure to read the labels to avoid ones with sunflower oil.
- Primal Kitchen – another dressing/marinade/sauce company option that only uses avocado oil. The mayo is completely addicting – mix with chopped garlic to use as an aioli or mix with a lean protein such as canned tuna or chicken to make chicken or tuna salad and enjoy with vegetables!
- Nona Lim Miso Ramen Broth – Quick, easy, delicious soup at home with no fuss or mess by making your own broth.