- ¼ cup + 2 Tbs white sesame seeds (or ¼ cup tahini)
- 1 tsp coconut sugar
- 1 tsp rice vinegar
- 3 Tbs tamari
- 1 lb spinach
- Toast sesame seeds in a dry skillet over medium-low heat for 3-5 minutes until lightly brown and fragrant, stirring constantly.
- In a mortar and pestle or spice grinder, grind sesame seeds then mix with coconut sugar, rice vinegar, and tamari until it is a smooth paste.
- In a saucepan, bring water to a boil and add spinach. Boil 10 - 15 seconds until wilted. Drain and squeeze water out with your (clean) hands.
- Chop spinach and toss with sesame paste until evenly coated.
- Serve with Trailside Kitchen's Sushi recipe.
Why we like Spinach Goma-ae
Since Spinach goma-ae is typically eaten as a side, mix and match it with other complex carb options to customize it for any level of any program. I recommend pairing it with our sushi rolls recipe or with Whole Foods smoked salmon and Trader Joe’s Frozen Brown Rice. White sesame seeds can typically be found in the bulk section at a health food store. If you can’t find them, you can substitute 1/4 cup tahini. Sesame seeds are an extremely underrated food item. Not only is it a source of “good fats,” but in 1 oz of sesame seeds (about 1/4 cup – like this recipe) contains the same amount of calcium as 1 cup of milk. It is also high in manganese and zinc, which are great immune supportive minerals.
What does that have to do with my exercise performance?
I know you’re coming here to look for very specific quick-fix information on how to boost your performance outside. I get it. BUT solid performance calls for being solid in every area. You need to have a strong immune system, you need to have a strong digestive system, and you need to have stable energy. Think about it for a second. How is your performance when you have a cold, are super gassy, or when your blood sugar is crashing? Probably not so great. Like everything else in life, there are no quick-fixes that are worth anything (sorry performance supplement companies). How you eat consistently is how you’ll perform consistently. Plus, this dish is the bomb.com delicious!