- 1 Tbs butter or oil
- ½ onion, diced
- Sea salt, pinch
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 can cannellini beans, rinsed
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 lb smoked turkey or sliced Italian turkey sausage
- 3 cups broth
- 1 bunch collard greens, chopped
- salt and black pepper to taste
- In a soup pot over medium heat, add butter or oil, onion, and a pinch of salt.
- Saute onions for 2-3 minutes, add garlic, and cook another minute or two until fragrant. (If using raw sausage, add with onions and saute until cooked through.)
- Add beans, tomatoes, smoked turkey, broth, collard greens, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, turn down to a simmer, and simmer for 20-30 minutes until collard greens are tender.
I’ve been on a big cooked greens kick lately. See our Chickpeas with Spinach or Dal recipes for other addictions. But this smoked turkey collard green stew is bomb.
I like two things about cooked greens.
One being that I think something green should be eaten with every meal.
And two being that I like one pot meals that freeze well because it fits into my busy lifestyle.
Cooking for one.
If you are cooking for one, this 4 serving stew is great because it isn’t the massive overkill pot of soup that often serves 12 and sits in your fridge forever. Eat it for dinner once, leftovers for lunch the next day, and freeze the other two servings in these single serving pyrex for an easy meal at a later point when life is hectic or you don’t feel like cooking. When freezing, leave about 1/2 inch at the top so the stew has room to expand as it freezes.