This Mustard Chicken Lettuce Boats recipe is a great post-exercise snack or meal for any level of any program.
- 1 breast from rotisserie chicken
- 1-2 Tbs mustard
- 2-3 romaine hearts
- 1 handful sweet potato chips
- Remove meat from rotisserie chicken and use two forks to shred meat.
- Toss with mustard of any flavor you choose, being careful to read ingredients when buying.
- Serve mustard chicken in romaine lettuce boats or tear lettuce and serve as a salad.
- Eat with sweet potato chips or fresh fruit.
The Quick and Dirty
Sometimes I have an inner conflict whether my quick food qualifies as a pretty “recipe worthy” meal, which makes it really difficult to produce those beautiful recipes on a weekly basis during a busy season of life. Plus, the more and more I work with people and talk to people in the Trailside community, I get SO many requests for quick and dirty meals. So I’ve decided to change my tune and post what’s real and not what’s curated. Because that’s what it’s about right?
One thing I keep coming back to is that the FOOD is not about the FOOD. For most of us, the food is about feeling great so we can get outside more and get better at doing whatever sport we love. Yes, the food needs to taste delicious, but it also needs to work for us and our busy schedules.
Behind the Recipe
For quick and dirty meals, it is KEY to have brands you know, love, and trust.
NOTE: this does not mean to blindly trust them. When companies get big and scale up their production, they often times change their recipes, which sometimes means compromising on their ingredient quality. So don’t check every time, but check sometimes. I notice about once or twice a year it happens to me in products I love.
But at the time of this posting, here is the behind the scenes go-to’s for this recipe:
- Organic Girl romaine is already washed and ready to be eaten (yes, when I’m busy I’ll pay the extra dollar to two for this luxury)
- Having Rocky Free Range Chicken rotisserie as an option at my local grocery store has been wonderful. Whole Foods carries something similar or you can roast your own bird if you have the time. No matter how busy I get, I will NEVER throw away a chicken carcass. This sucker is going into the crock pot and turned into broth that will be frozen and used at another time. No matter how you cut it, high-quality meat is expensive so I’ll always stretch it as far as possible.
- Jackson’s Honest sweet potato chips made with coconut oil is a great quick carb option that is portable and easy to bring on the go with you.
- Annie’s horseradish mustard – for some reason it’s really hard to find a mustard that isn’t made out of sugar and filled with mystery ingredients. This one has become a staple for me (for now, will check ingredients regularly just in case 😉
These chicken boats are great for post-exercise because it is relatively low fat and the quicker digesting sweet potato acts as a great recovery carb. But the good news is that simple recipes like this can be mixed and matched to suit your situation. So if using as an entree, add a source of fat such as avocado or olives and swap the sweet potato chips for Trader Joe’s frozen brown rice to keep it ready in under 5 minutes.