Why This was Developed:
In working with clients, I noticed I kept running into the same problems and giving the same recommendations over and over, so I decided to do something about it!
Thanks to past clients and the Trailside Kitchen newsletter community, I spoke with over 75 different people about what their needs are in bringing a food product outside.
For those of you who contributed, THANK YOU! It was incredibly helpful and I want you to know something important:
This is YOUR product. You created it.
Here is what I learned are the most common desires after all the interviewing:
- Versatility – people get tired of the same old
- Something lightweight and portable
- Something easy to stomach when your body is a little queasy from intense exercise
- Something not super sweet, but also not super savory or salty – a generally balanced flavor profile
- Something that has performance benefits along with overall high-quality ingredients
- Something INDULGENT – this was a huge discovery. Almost every single person brings food along for functional purposes (i.e. bars, mainly) but they’re not enjoyable. They want their food to match the emotional reward and enjoyment level that they feel when they’re outside doing what they love.
So here’s what I came up with:
A slightly sweet Dark Drinking Chocolate made with Grass Fed Collagen
BTW, that picture is of my BFF, which makes it extra special.
Here are the basics of what to expect:
- It tastes like Oreos, but not as sweet, with a hint of coconut and is SO delicious it feels naughty to have. But listen to this:
- There are 13 grams of collagen protein from grass fed cows per serving. What this means: creme de la creme, the best quality, absolutely top notch protein source. Collagen is best absorbed by the body for repairing muscle tissues. You can read more about why below.
- There are 9 grams of fat from coconut milk per serving. The medium-chain fatty acids in coconut are easily digested by the body and immediately sent to the liver to be converted to usable energy.
- There are 13 grams of sugar derived from coconut sugar. Coconut sugar is low glycemic, which means that although it is a simple carbohydrate that will refill the glycogen stores in your muscles after exercise, it won’t spike and crash your blood sugar.
- Having single serving packets makes it easy to carry anywhere.
- The liquid nature of this product gives you a nutrition powerhouse in an easy to stomach form.
- It can be mixed with water, milk, coffee (coffee is my favorite), in oatmeal, pancakes, smoothies, chia seed pudding, etc. So many options! Plus can be had at home, on-the-go, or outside.
- It’s gluten, dairy, and soy free.
The Nuts and Bolts:
Ingredients: Coconut sugar*, coconut cream powder* (raw coconut milk, tapioca based maltodextrin), grass fed collagen powder, black cocoa powder, cocoa powder.
Why Collagen is so Special:
Collagen is the most abundant source of protein in your body that makes up your connective tissues (joints, ligaments, tendons, and cartilage) and makes up 70% of the protein in your skin. Most widely known for its use in skincare products, collagen molecules are too large to be absorbed through the topical application so getting it from the inside out is the best way to reap the benefits!
Collagen contains amino acids such as proline, glycine, and lysine not present in muscle meat (steak, chicken breast, etc.) in high quantities and is derived from the skin and bones instead. Most recently the benefits of collagen have hit mainstream media in the form of homemade bone broth. If you’ve ever seen your homemade broth gel, that’s the gelatin/collagen component we’re talking about here. Unlike bone broth, collagen powder is flavorless, odorless, and shelf stable.
Our Dark Drinking Chocolate with Grass Fed Collagen has all the benefits of bone broth in an enjoyable cup of slightly sweet drinking chocolate that is indulgent, portable, and easy to bring outside.