This Chocolate Oatmeal Recipe is great for the lifestyle level of the Cardio Endurance or Strength Training Program.
Vary the amount of drinking chocolate powder to adjust protein/fat ratios for other levels of the programs.
- ½ cup rolled oats
- 1 packet (6 Tbsp) Dark Drinking Chocolate with Grass Fed Collagen powder
- 1 cup boiling water
- Nuts or granola, for garnish (optional)
- In an insulated food container, add rolled oats and dark drinking chocolate powder.
- Boil water and immediately pour over chocolate oats. PRO TIP: use less water if you like a thicker oatmeal.
- Cover tightly and let sit for 15 - 20 minutes until oats are tender.
- Top with nuts and granola if desired for texture.
This recipe is camping breakfast perfect.
Minimal cleanup and simple preparation makes this chocolate oatmeal a weekend adventure staple. We usually spend the 20 minute wait time breaking down our tent and getting ready for the day. The rich chocolatey flavor of our Dark Drinking Chocolate with Grass Fed Collagen pairs well with a Kuju Pocket Pourover. The power combo of a mocha breakfast is how food snobs do camping!
The collagen addition bumps up the protein content by 13 grams and fat content by 9 grams, which balances out the meal and sets you up for a day full of energy without needing a snack as soon as you start out on the trail. Learn more about the protein quality and benefits of collagen here.
The key is bringing along an insulated food container.
If you’ve been following Trailside Kitchen for any length of time, you know that I absolutely LOVE insulated food containers. Really for any context. I use them a lot at home to pack food for work so I don’t have to worry about refrigeration. I also use them for day trips so I can bring leftovers (not just soups might I add) out with me and eat real food outside. The best part about them is that they keep hot food hot and cold food cold. For camping, I love them because you can actually COOK in them. How cool is that?!?
Here are some great brands:
* To make this recipe a light trail food option, pack ingredients in a ziplock bag then bring ingredients to a boil over a WhisperLite or JetBoil, shut off the heat and cover, let sit 15-20 minutes until oats are cooked through. For a faster meal that requires more fuel, simmer for 5 minutes.