- 1-2 Tbs high heat oil
- 1 jar artichoke hearts, drained
- 1 can of beans (cannellini, chickpea, navy, etc.), drained and rinsed
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 3-4 handfuls spinach
- salt and pepper, to taste
- cherry tomatoes, for garnish
- Heat oil in a saute pan over medium-high heat until a drop of water evaporates upon contact.
- Sear artichoke hearts until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes, flip and sear on the other side.
- Turn heat to low, add beans and lemon juice, and cook until warmed through. About 1-2 minutes.
- Add spinach, cover, and let steam until slightly wilted.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, toss with cherry tomatoes, and serve with a poached egg for added protein.
- Option to skip the cooking altogether and just mix everything for a bean and artichoke heart spinach salad!
Base recipes are key
This beans and artichoke hearts recipe is a quick staple base recipe to be taken in many different directions. Try switching up the spices to add new flavor twists, or use kale and swiss chard instead of spinach. Use different beans and sear different vegetables to have a different mix of flavors as well.
Having canned beans and jars of artichoke hearts around in your pantry makes it easy to whip this dish up at a moments notice when you’re busy. It also makes for great leftovers to be eaten the next day. To learn more about my preferred brand of canned beans, read my post Spilling the Beans on Legumes…
Add a poached or fried egg, shredded chicken, or crispy pancetta for added protein and fat to modify this recipe to fit the Lifestyle or Performance level ratio guidelines.
Cooking for One?
Store leftovers in single serving pyrex for lunch the next day.